Although many of us won’t be able to go to that all inclusive beach resort this summer (thanks Rona), we can still keep healthy and feel fabulous on home soil - or home sand! Arguably, it is now more important than ever to keep ourselves fit and healthy in mind and body, as we stay motivated and take full advantage of the Great British staycation!
For that extra motivational boost in the mornings, why not try our Reverse Life Marine collagen shot for all of your energy needs! Read our blog to find out why collagen is so essential for your health, and how to spot the signs that you are collagen deficient.
Tone up your tum with these 5 simple core exercises
Combining regular exercise with a healthy and balanced diet (with the odd cheat day course), is a sure fire way to feeling fantastically fit and shifting that stubborn excess fat around your tummy!
If you’re your tummy fat is your arch nemesis, then take a look at these simple exercises which, when regularly performed, will help to burn calories and do wonders for your core strength! Did you know that we’ve also included Green Tea extract in our new Reverse Life collagen formula? Read our blog on the top 6 benefits which include speeding up the metabolism to assist even further with reaching those fat loss goals.
1. Sit Ups
Muscles worked: Upper and lower abs
- Begin by lying on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Cross your arms over your chest.
- Tense your stomach and tuck your chin into your chest as you roll up through the spine and touch your elbows to your knees.
- Focus on keeping your core engaged as you slowly return to the starting position.
- Repeat this 10-20 times.
Challenge: Hold a weight in your hands. As you reach the top of the sit up, extend your arms and push the weight up above your head, then slowly lower it back to your chest as you return to the starting position.
2. Russian Twists
Muscles worked: Upper abs, lower abs, obliques
- Start in the sit up position as described in exercise number above.
- Then sit up half-way so your core is fully engaged.
- Place your palms together in front of you, then twist so that your fingertips touch the floor on your left hand side.
- Bring your palms back to the centre, then twist to the other side and touch the floor. Bring your palms back to the centre - that is one Russian Twist!
- Repeat this movement 10-15 times.
Challenge: Hold a weight like a medicine ball or a dumbbell to increase intensity!
3. Leg Raises
Muscles worked: Lower abs
- Start by lying on your back with your legs extended and your arms down by your sides, palms on the floor.
- Whilst keeping your legs straight, tuck your chin to your chest and engage your core, then raise your legs so that they are at 90 degrees to your body.
- Focus on not letting your back arch as you very slowly lower your legs back down to the floor.
- Repeat the 10-15 times
Challenge: Can you keep your ankles from touching the floor between raises? Feel the burn!
Muscles worked: Full body!
- Start in a plank position with your forearms on the floor, hands facing forwards. Keep your back straight and hips in a straight line with your shoulders. Try not to let your hips dip to the floor or rise above your shoulders.
- With your legs straight and your knees off the floor, concentrate on keeping your core engaged and hold this position for one minute.
Challenge: Can hold your plank for longer? Why not try 2 minutes - or even 3!
5. Side plank
Muscles worked: Fully body!
- Start by lying on your left side with your legs out straight. Ensure that your head is in line with your spine and your left elbow is directly under your shoulder. Your right arm can be aligned along the right side of your body.
- Engage your core as you lift your hips and knees. Concentrate on holding a straight position and not letting your hips sag or bend.
- Hold this position steady for 1 minute, then repeat on the other side.
Challenge: When balancing on your left side, hold a weight in your right hand and extend your arm above you to increase intensity! Then repeat on the other side.
Fuel your body with essential nutrients for best results
After all of this exercise, it is important that we supply our body with the essential nutrients it needs to grow and repair itself. Our groundbreaking Reverse Life Marine collagen drink is brimming with nutrients and vitamins essential for fuelling your body every day - it will even improve your hair, nail and skin health too! Find out how Reverese Life Marine Collagen Supplement can boost your skin radiance in our latest blog!
This blog post was guest written by Holly Everett. Holly holds a BSc in Exercise and Sport Science along with an MA in Exercise and Sport Science: Coaching Studies. Look out for more great exercise and mobility tips from Holly coming to the Reverse Life blog